In Victorious Woman! I wrote chapters about Lilly and Nancy, both victims of domestic violence. They are from two different generations. Nancy’s spouse beat her and threatened to kill her through the 1950’s and early 1960’s. She knew what it was like to have a gun held to her head. Lilly was more emotional and mental than physical – and it was still happening as recently as the early 2000’s. Their stories of victory over violence still touch my heart.
Unfortunately, women still live in unsafe homes and dangerous marriages, afraid to leave and afraid to stay. And it isn’t always at the hands of a spouse or partner. Domestic violence also occurs between siblings and between parents and children. In fact, did you know…
- One in four women (25%) has experienced domestic violence in her lifetime (CDC)
- Approximately 1.3 million women are physically assaulted by an intimate partner annually in the United States. (ABA)
- Of females killed with a firearm, almost two-thirds were killed by their intimate partners. The number of females shot and killed by their husband or intimate partner was more than three times higher than the total number murdered by male strangers using all weapons combined in single victim/single offender incidents in 2002. (ABA)
Here are five clarity facts you need to know about Domestic Violence:
- Love isn’t supposed to hurt you
- Abuse is never OK
- It isn’t your fault – no matter what you do or did
- You aren’t alone
- You can get help
Like thousands of women, maybe you, Nancy and Lilly were afraid to leave their violent relationships. But in both cases, they made a plan. They knew where to go and who would help.
NATIONAL DOMESTIC VIOLENCE HOTLINE :1-800-799-7233
NATIONAL SEXUAL ASSAULT HOTLINE: 1-800-656-4673
NATIONAL TEEN DATING ABUSE HOTLINE: 1-866-331-9474
If you know someone who is living in fear that tonight might be the next time, please direct her to this post.
What is the Victorious Woman Project?
Founded by Annmarie Kelly, the Victorious Woman Project is a female empowerment resource containing articles, classes, books, podcasts and other tools for women over 40.